ROASTED HEIRLOOM TOMATO SAUCE
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Halve and 3-4lbs of tomatoes. Cut large tomatoes into wedges. You can leave smaller ones in halves.
- Separate 2 or 4 garlic cloves from a head of garlic. (I used 4, use less if you are garlic averse)
- Place the tomatoes and unpeeled garlic cloves on parchment lined baking sheets. Drizzle with a generous amount of olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Roast for 30 to 45 minutes or until the tomatoes are very soft and slightly browned. Remove from the oven and carefully remove the garlic cloves from their skin.
- Transfer everything to a blender container and blend until smooth or leave It slightly chunky if you prefer. Alternately, transfer to a bowl or other large container and puree using an immersion blender.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt. Let cool slightly then pour into containers to freeze.
I like to keep this sauce basic so I can later adapt it to different recipes and flavor profiles.
If you prefer a sweeter sauce, add 2 carrots (peeled and cut into ½” chunks) and/or 1 onion (peeled and cut into wedges).
I have also roasted the tomatoes along with herbs – thyme is particularly good!
The color of your sauce will vary depending on which varieties of tomatoes you used.
This method can also be used with other types of tomatoes as well as red peppers.